What will happen if a drive is lost from Raid 1 Pool

Hello Everyone,

I was testing ROCKSTOR 3.9.1 and i was very happy with the result. Nice smooth installation and easy configuration for SMB shared folder. Web Gui is also cool! I have execute a mirror RAID1.

Since my intended usage is not for just home use, i simulate a hard disk failure by removing the sata cable. The result was disappointing since the whole storage pool was disappeared, no option to fix the pool, and all the data was not accessible. This is the philosophy of mirror RAID1, have your data available if 1 hard drive fails out of 2. Since this is not possible with Rockstor, i’m wondering what the developers or rockstor really doing and why is this ?

Is there any intention of providing paid professional services for those issues ?

Let’s say i dont want to give up on Rockstor, even my disappointing experience. What else should i do or try ?

Cheers.

@djb Welcome to the Rockstor community.

Glad you like some of what you have seen but re:

btrfs does behave differently re something like mdraid but in this case you are with 3.9.1 running potentially very old Rockstor code. You don’t state the exact version but if you have not subscribed to either channel then it’s way old. Our iso is very much due for an update but this will not happen until we have finished our openSUSE move (actually quite close). If you have subscribed to testing then it had it’s last update (3.9.1-16) around 2 years ago which itself was 16 versions on from 3.9.1.0 (iso) which was 4 month prior to that. However the stable channel was last updated 3 weeks ago as of writing. So for the best we have to offer currently you would be strongly advised to try out the stable channel, it also helps us sustain the project’s costs and development.

We are very much in the throws of bringing back the testing channel but it will only be available for our non legacy platform of openSUSE and we are just not quite their yet. But very soon. That change will also bring years of imporovements that have happened in btrfs itself cue to openSUSE backporting curated patches to their otherwise enterprise rated kernel.

Not until we are fully moved over to openSUSE based offerings as their is simply too much to do until that time. Do appreciate that this is a self funded open source project and very much in active development.

Try upgrading to a more recent versions. And note that if first try the testing channel (up to 3.9.1-16) and then later go to Stable, their was a bug in those later testing updates that will mean your stable update will not actually ‘take’.

yum info rockstor

will then tell you if it’s actually installed or just available as the Web-UI got available and installed confused. But that was in the testing channel. If going from a fresh iso install to stable this does not happen. In any case a simple:

yum update rockstor

sorts it.

Please also take a look at the following forum thread for some background of our more recent developments:

and our official docs sub section Update Channels should also help here. I have recently updated that section as well.

Hope that helps.