1-30-19: On new VM install: Error running a command. cmd = /sbin/btrfs filesystem show /dev/disk/by-id/sda3. rc = 1. stdout = ['']. stderr = ['ERROR: not a valid btrfs filesystem: /dev/disk/by-id/sda3', '']

[Please complete the below template with details of the problem reported on your Web-UI. Be as detailed as possible. Community members, including developers, shall try and help. Thanks for your time in reporting this issue! We recommend purchasing commercial support for expedited support directly from the developers.]

Brief description of the problem

This is a VM (test) post-install error

Detailed step by step instructions to reproduce the problem

This is on first boot, creating an admin account

Web-UI screenshot

Error Traceback provided on the Web-UI

File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/rest_framework_custom/generic_view.py", line 41, in _handle_exception yield File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/disk.py", line 377, in post return self._update_disk_state() File "/opt/rockstor/eggs/Django-1.8.16-py2.7.egg/django/utils/decorators.py", line 145, in inner return func(*args, **kwargs) File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/disk.py", line 322, in _update_disk_state p.uuid = btrfs_uuid(dob.name) File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/fs/btrfs.py", line 1055, in btrfs_uuid [BTRFS, 'filesystem', 'show', '/dev/disk/by-id/%s' % disk]) File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/osi.py", line 115, in run_command raise CommandException(cmd, out, err, rc) CommandException: Error running a command. cmd = /sbin/btrfs filesystem show /dev/disk/by-id/sda3. rc = 1. stdout = ['']. stderr = ['ERROR: not a valid btrfs filesystem: /dev/disk/by-id/sda3', '']

@kuerious Welcome to the Rockstor community.

This error can come from not meeting the Minimum System Requirements of not having unique serial numbers for you disks (an unfortunate default in at least VMware. The linked doc entry above which is in our Quick start doc section has instructions on how to enable this at least in VMware.

As an aside this behaviour has been much improved in later code releases (ie an explanation is offered next to the ‘offending’ disk with a link as per above, which is what our existing install code does for data disks, just not the system disk) but of course this code will only take effect on fresh installs once we release our next iso. Bit of a chicken and egg thing there.

Hope that helps.

This has been the fastest, and most thorough (without acting elitist), troubleshooting on first install I have done in … many years.

I just wish you guys ran on Arm, I’d switch all of my home NAS devices over.

So, suggestions? I’m just trying to do a test install to look at the interface. And now I’m getting “Warning: dracut-initqueue timeout - starting timeout scripts”.

Oh, and as well, I don’t see (yet) in the Wiki or FAQ or other pages how to get a “home-use” Activation code. I’ve read the whole bit about purchasing, but I was under the impression that a VM for testing wouldn’t need a code (and a home user as well, using for a NAS.)

Okay, so now I’m confused.

Re-installing, this time with 2x virtual HDDs (which run off an SSD) in VMware instead of just one. And I’m getting (what appears to be) the same, identical error.

So am I going to have to wait for the next ISO incarnation before I can … test this?

Edit
You know what helps? Slowing down and reading (and re-reading).

Okay, one issue down. One to go.

How can a business be “SOLD OUT” of subscriptions?

@kuerious Hello again and glad you got your install sorted.

I can have a go at that one.

First off thanks for showing an interest in financially supporting Rockstor’s development via a stable channel subscription.

I’ve recently been made aware that we have a technical / resources issue with our last proposed stable channel release. I’m in the process of extending my roles within Rockstor so that I might chip in to try and resolve this. Please be patient while I get up to speed and hopefully resolve this issue.

Any update to this situation should be seen first in the forum thread opened for this issue:

This is obviously an important issue and my current focus is on resolving it.

In the mean time, as you may already be aware from reading the forum, out testing release has not had an update for some time (so that our limited resources can provide a greater ‘value add’ to our stable channel subscribers/supporters); but it’s last release represents what would have been our next stable release and consequent iso release. But as per:

we have a few things in ‘transit’.

So best bet for now is to subscribe to testing and that way you at least get far newer code than default iso install, but still pretty old in comparison with stable channel updates.

And once we have the stable ‘sold out’ issue resolved, one way or another, you can move to that, but due to a bug when moving from testing to stable a one of ‘yum update’ is required thereafter. From there on you should be good re the Web-UI report of the installed version. This issue has been fixed but is again a chicken and egg scenario. Please see the following issue on this:

https://github.com/rockstor/rockstor-core/issues/1870

and the now merged pull request which has the details:

https://github.com/rockstor/rockstor-core/pull/1871

Hope that helps.

Um, … hmm.

While I recognize the hard work, I’m unclear on … well, what the clear answer is here.

Is there some reason I need to keep up with the repos once I’ve installed? It’s just a pop-up, I’m sure. Well, until I want to add extras (Rock-Ons) … but right now, I just need a NAS/SAN.

So I decided to move from a VM to bare metal. Took an old HP PL N36L with 8GB ECC RAM, and start an install. Install is from a 4GB USB flash, onto a 16GB USB flash.

It boosts to first screen, I select install, then a gray screen, and then I get . So now I’m utterly clueless.