Dev log for 3.9.0

Happy new year to everyone in our lovely community! Hope you all had a nice holiday time! I sure did.

This is a belated kick off of our new development cycle as 3.8.16-2 has been out for a couple weeks now already. We’ve decided to bump up the minor version and call our next stable release 3.9.0.

The milestone we plan to focus on for this cycle is Pinnacles. We are pretty much done with Looney Bean, so it will be closed out.

What’s with two testing updates without this usual kick off post? 3.8.16-1 was an urgent fix in light of upstream changes where we were finally forced to deprecate net-tools package. 3.8.16-2 was what would have been our first testing update in normal circumstances. @Flyer contributed improvements to the pincard management feature. And we get to welcome our newest contributor @ansemjo! whose passwords encoding fix also went into 3.8.16-2. Thank you!

3.8.16-4 is now available! We’ve closed three issues in this update, all of them UI fixes contributed by @Flyer. Thank you!

What are the plans for the upcoming 3.9 when it comes to any kernel version update (btrfs) and the base system CentOS? Thx

I don’t plan on a kernel or btrfs-progs update for 3.9.0, but likely for 3.9.1. The base CentOS is latest as of 3.8.16, though we have a bit of packaging cleanup to do. But that effects only dev environments.

1 Like

Happy weekend everyone! 3.8.16-5 is now available with the following UI and build improvements. This update is brought to you by @ganti_priya, @Flyer and myself. Thank you!

We just released 3.8.16-6! @Flyer contributed a UI bugfix and @phillxnet contributed a fix to test code. Both important changes, thank you guys!

Hello Everyone and happy MLK Jr day!

We just released 3.8.16-7, which took longer than I hoped for. It comes with a bugfix from @phillxnet and code style cleanup from me. The code cleanup is huge, touching almost every python file, and makes backend run a bit faster, but functionally everything is the same.

1 Like

3.8.16-8 is now released. Please update right away as I’ve fixed a regression I’ve introduced in the previous update that killed the UI(if rebooted or rockstor-pre service restarted). It’s a simple nginx configuration error, but it looks like a major problem.

My thanks and apologies to @phillxnet and @Flyer who came to the rescue of users swiftly. You are the heroes of our community!

For those of you running 3.8.16-7 and no UI, you’ll have to update via the terminal. Please follow these steps

1. yum update
  2. reboot or systemctl restart rockstor-pre rockstor rockstor-bootstrap

:wink:

1 Like

I’ve tried 3.8.16-8 moving from stable a while ago and was wondering when the next 3.8.16-9 or 3.9 will arrive? :grinning:

On the other hand I was wondering how I get back from tester image to stable release? Just switching the auto updater channel had no impact in downgrading me to 3.8-16 stable…

Thanks for commenting

We are bit backed up on testing releases and there’s a build related bug that’s preventing me to push updates at this time. Hope to get that going very soon.

After switching from testing to stable channel, you’d need to use yum to downgrade. Something like yum downgrade rockstor should work, though I have not tested that. So make sure to read what it says before accepting to continue the downgrade.

thank you @suman

One question before trying any manual downgrade…
As soon as the next stable release 3.9 is out - will Rockstor upgrade automatically from 3.8.16-8 (test release) by having enabled auto update (stable releases) or would there be any manual work needed from my side?

regards

It will upgrade to the next stable update(3.9.0 in this case). No manual work needed.

1 Like

Hello Everyone,

Last couple of weeks have been a roller coaster of problems, but we are finally back on track. 3.8.16-9 was released a few hours ago. We closed two issues in this update. One is a code style fix and the other adds support for 512e HDDs sector size display in the UI. Thank you @chrstphrchvz and @Flyer for your contributions!

Happy weekend everyone!

We just released 3.8.16-10. Two issues were closed. First is a fix to test code and the second is a significant design improvement to disk roles that will let us support cool new features in the future. This was contributed by @phillxnet and I encourage all code contributors to look at his pull request, we can all learn to be more thorough and document better from it. It was a pleasure to read and review these changes.

3.8.16-11 is now available! We fixed Share size reporting bug and made an improvement to the UI. @Flyer and @phillxnet have each contributed one pull request each. Thank you both!