Get() returned more than one RockOn -- it returned 2!

Hello,

Sorry for the poor problem description, first time posting.
thank you for your time!

Brief description of the problem

Rock-ons Update return an error message

Detailed step by step instructions to reproduce the problem

• Created custom rock-ons json file
  • update rock-ons
  • install custom rock-ons OK
  • remove rock-ons OK
  • delete json files
  • error message

Web-UI screenshot

Error Traceback provided on the Web-UI

Traceback (most recent call last): File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/rest_framework_custom/generic_view.py", line 41, in _handle_exception yield File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/rockon.py", line 128, in post self._delete_deprecated(rockons) File "/opt/rockstor/.venv/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/utils/decorators.py", line 185, in inner return func(*args, **kwargs) File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/rockon.py", line 153, in _delete_deprecated RockOn.objects.get(name=cr).delete() File "/opt/rockstor/.venv/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/manager.py", line 85, in manager_method return getattr(self.get_queryset(), name)(*args, **kwargs) File "/opt/rockstor/.venv/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/query.py", line 384, in get (self.model._meta.object_name, num) MultipleObjectsReturned: get() returned more than one RockOn -- it returned 2!

@aymenSo welcome to the Rockstor community.
Just for reference, which version of Rockstor are you running?
Couple of questions:

• The custom rockon you installed (via the rockons-metastore directory), were those variations on existing Rockons, or brand-new ones?

• Also, when you mention ā€œremoveā€ are you referring to using the uninstall button on the Webui, or did you also run the console command

poetry run delete-rockon <rockon-name>

And after that removed the json files?

2 Likes

thank you @Hooverdan ! Here are my answers:

I am running Rockstor 4.5.6-0

Custom rockons are a mix of variations on existing Rockons + brand-new ones

Mainly I use the uninstall button on the Webui to ā€œremoveā€ Rockons but also used command line
for some Rockons where uninstall button was unsuccessful.

Yes, I removed json files

2 Likes

@aymenSo Hello here. Not directly relevant but give you are on our testing channel, you may as well be using the latest version re:

See:

Shouldnā€™t affect your issue but itā€™s best to be reporting / experimenting against the latest code: just in case.

Also be sure to press the Rock-ons update button after making any changes. Expecially with custom Rock-on json files etc. And be carefull to use different names for these custom Rock-ons. It looks like you have had a clash of names from the following part of the message:

@Hooverdan and @Flox are more knowledgable on the Rock-on system. But if anyone can chip in on this observed failure then great. We can always improve the robustness of such custom experiments.

Not of much help I realise but just wanted to chip in on this one re use of latest testing, if testing.

1 Like

@phillxnet thank you!
Actually updated to Rockstor 4.5.9-1 + server reboot.
All seems working good.
Still have the same error message when I click on ā€œUpdateā€ Rock-ons.
Here is a view of ā€œAllā€ Rock-ons page , you can clearly see 2 times the same rockon Calibre.local:

I already uninstalled Calibre.local rockon and removed the corresponding json file but strill have the error message.
Thank you again for your help!

3 Likes

Thanks for the details, @aymenSo

Can you confirm what happens, or does not happen, if you now run the delete-rockon script mentioned by @Hooverdan? It would be:

cd /opt/rockstor 
poetry run delete-rockon Calibre.local

And then clock again on the ā€œUpdateā€ button in the Rock-Ons page.

Thank you @Flox for your message!

here is the result of the command:

I still have the same error message for ā€œUpdateā€ button after this command.

3 Likes

Interestingā€¦ I donā€™t recall seeing that issue in the past.
Ok, this will need a little look into the state of your db, then. I unfortunately canā€™t guide you on that right now but will try to as soon as possible. I think we will need to get the id of one of the two instances of that problematic rockon and then manually delete its record.

Ok the upside, you unearthed an unlikely but obviously possible scenario for which we need to account in the rockon-delete script.

Sorry again I canā€™t be of more help at this moment.

1 Like

yet another question from me, did you at any point have two json files in the ā€˜/opt/rockstor/rocksons-metastoreā€™ directory where the container name was the same, e.g. calibreserver

"containers": {
      "calibreserver": {
        "image": "linuxserver/calibre",
        "launch_order": 1,

Usually that would lead to an error during refresh already, when the official and custom Rockon json files are evaluated and not finish the processing, so just want to make sure that there is a new scenario (though shouldnā€™t be) that would allow to load essentially duplicate data into the databaseā€¦

Edit ā€“
the flip side of this. If you did not have the above situation, did you have 2 json files with different container names (see above) but the same Rockon name Calibre.local at any point?

2 Likes

As we probably need to enhance the deletion script at some point, I opened a corresponding Github issue for this, as we continue to explore how this scenario came about (and hopefully find a root cause at some point).

3 Likes

Hi @aymenSo ,

Letā€™s see if we can get a better idea of what you have here. Itā€™ll require some back-and-forth unfortunately, but Iā€™d like to take that opportunity to have as much information as we can so that we can cover this situation in our delete-rockon script. Given it seems very hard to reproduce despite all of @Hooverdanā€™s efforts, Iā€™d like to not miss anything.

We would first need to see what your relevant database looks like. As mentioned above, this would be via manual queries against your database. In the command below, the password requested is rocky.

# psql -U rocky -d storageadmin -c "SELECT id,name,state,status,taskid FROM storageadmin_rockon WHERE name = 'Calibre.local';"

Hopefully this should give us a coherent first answer.

2 Likes

I got the same today:
postgres@rockstor:~> psql -d storageadmin -c ā€œSELECT id,name,state,status,taskid FROM storageadmin_rockon WHERE name = ā€˜Embyā€™;ā€
id | name | state | status | taskid
-----Ā±-----Ā±----------Ā±--------Ā±-------
104 | Emby | installed | started |
103 | Emby | available | stopped |
(2 rows)

Iā€™m running my own json since in the past the rockon pull request took a long time to get in :slight_smile:

Interesting. Another quick question from my side. The json file youā€™re using locally for Emby, is that the same as the official Rocklin one or did you make any changes to it?

2 Likes

@Hooverdan Yes, I did his mistake and got an error message.

@Flox Here is the result of the command:

aymen@mynas:~> psql -U rocky -d storageadmin -c "SELECT id,name,state,status,taskid FROM storageadmin_rockon WHERE name = 'Calibre.local';"
Password for user rocky:
 id  |     name      |   state   |        status         | taskid
-----+---------------+-----------+-----------------------+--------
 110 | Calibre.local | available | exitcode: 137 error:  |
 109 | Calibre.local | available | stopped               |
(2 rows)

Thanks @aymenSo and @Jorma_Tuomainen for the reportsā€¦ very curious to see two reports of that peculiar case, especially given we have not touched the Rock-Ons side of things latelyā€¦

Letā€™s see what you have in terms of containers, then:
@aymenSo :

# psql -U rocky -d storageadmin -c "SELECT * FROM storageadmin_dcontainer WHERE rockon_id IN (109,110);"

@Jorma_Tuomainen:

# psql -U rocky -d storageadmin -c "SELECT * FROM storageadmin_dcontainer WHERE rockon_id IN (103,104);"
2 Likes

postgres@rockstor:~> psql -d storageadmin -c ā€œSELECT * FROM storageadmin_dcontainer WHERE rockon_id IN (103,104);ā€
id | rockon_id | dimage_id | name | launch_order | uid
-----Ā±----------Ā±----------Ā±-----Ā±-------------Ā±----
112 | 104 | 68 | emby | 1 |
(1 row)

1 Like

Thanks, @Jorma_Tuomainen.

Only one of your Rock-On entries has a related container, thenā€¦ It thus matches my test environment so you should be able to use the quick fix I tested to work in this case.
I unfortunately cannot upload not right now but should be able to later today.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Just committed my changes so that you guys can try and run that updated version to reset these custom Rock-Ons. To try:

cd /opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/scripts
wget -O rockon_delete.py https://raw.githubusercontent.com/FroggyFlox/rockstor-core/1b3458fcb47313999242db58e73a5d994108bb4f/src/rockstor/scripts/rockon_delete.py 

Then try to re-run the script:

cd /opt/rockstor
poetry run delete-rockon <Rockon-name>

It should list two deletions.

Hope this helps,

2 Likes

Scratch that error, went back and noticed another rock on that had 2 entries (one failed install).

UI loads now, maybe make UI not crash and provide delete button there?

1 Like

@Jorma_Tuomainen so the script worked for you then?
The UI suggestion could be a future option, I think @Flox (or all of us, collectively :slight_smile: ) wants to figure out first how this inconsistent state can occur in the first place, since in the past (at least as far back as I can remember) this duplication has not happened before.

2 Likes