Installing Rockstor on a TB250-BTCPRO system

I’ve been trying to install Rockstor 5.0.9-0 onto a TB250-BTCPRO system. I am using a USB drive as boot media and the install proceeds to the point of displaying the user agreement. At which point, the following messages are displayed over the user agreement text:

[FAILED] Failed to start network manager wait online
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for Build Rockstor.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for Tasks required prior to starting Rockstor.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for Rockstor startup script.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for Rockstor bootstrapping tasks.

And then it stops installing. What do these messages mean? What should I do to fix it?

Thanks for any help you can be,
Chris

short on time, apologies. It could be that the network card is not recognized/not functioning/takes a really long time to activate. Since a “working” network is a pre-requisite for Rockstor now, it it can find it, it will also not start Rockstor services …

1 Like

Thanks for the response. I verified the NIC hardware by installing windows onto the system. Everything works fine I can ping google.com and I can browse the internet without any problems. I further checked out the hardware by attempting to install Openmediavault based on Debian. It got to the network part and quit saying that there was a problem with the DHCP server. Obviously the DHCP is working fine as windows used it on this system and all the other devices on my network are using it without issue. Not sure how DHCP is implemented in Opensuze, but I’m thinking that is the problem. Any ideas?

Well, “my” first thoughts would be “is there a BIOS update that can be applied?” That is a weird motherboard made for crypto mining… maybe some subtle thing happening that the install doesn’t like.

Website shows last BIOS was in 2018 so I suppose you already know about it.

https://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=884&data-type=DOWNLOAD

My second thought would be BIOS settings… like disable all the Serial port stuff, disable SMT and any overclock stuff, make it run as PlainJane as possible. Also, maybe some jumper settings?

Just 70yo mans 2 cents… Good Luck!

:sunglasses:

PS: If you need a GOOD motherboard with 60G SSD, 16GB memory and E3 CPU, I would be happy to mail you one.

PPS: Possibly try a pure OpenSUSE install to see if that works?

1 Like

I don’t think it’s the case, but I can see that the motherboard uses a Realtek RTL8111H NIC, possibly the kernel module is not being loaded, so it’s not recognized.

Also, have you taken a look at the various rockstor logs available to see whether any messages pertaining to a failed network connection? For example, run

journalctl -xe

or

cat /opt/rockstor/var/log/rockstor.log

You can also try:
nmcli device show or ‘ncmcli dev status’ to determine whether the network even shows up

zypper se -s kernel-firmware to see whether the Realtek firmware is loaded

@phillxnet might have some other suggestions, too.

3 Likes

Hey Tex1954,

I tried to test the board with Open Suse 15.6. After an exhaustive search for a USB stick big enough that was blank I installed it and it worked fine. All I did was select the DHCP option from the list to configure the networking and everything else was handled automatically as you would expect.

I did not do the BIOS update. I’ve never bricked a board doing an update but all the horror stories that I’ve heard makes me do those as a last resort. So that’s on the list of possibilities. As for the mining specialty settings, that’s on the list as well. I’ll have to go through the documentation to find all of those settings.

As for the GOOD board. What do you want for it? I’ll make a trip to pick it up if you are close to Pittsburgh, PA.

Thanks

Dan,

Looking at logs sounds like a good next diagnostic move. I will reinstall Rockstor. I’m going to try it without wiping the drive. If I do that I will be in bed before it is done. It is going to be close as to getting back to you before tomorrow as it is. I know the ‘best practices’ call for wiping the disk first but how important is that?

Thanks,
Chris

LOL! I live in Paducah,KY. All I would want is shipping cost. What I meant by a GOOD board is one that I know works with Rockstor. There are several boards used and NEW I have and it would sort of depend on your setup needs. I would need the following info:

1. ATX or uATX form factor.
  2. How many HD’s of what size you may want (I maybe have some for you)
  3. How many Rockstor badges you want! (snicker :sunglasses: )
  4. Would you want an 8 Disk HBA for your setup?

If you want a nice Intel board, I have a new 1155 Skull board ATX size. Also have Gigabyte board (1155) with a proven reliable screaming 4.5 GHz 3570K on it. Also could put an E3 V2 in there; your choice. Also have good uATX boards, also Gigabyte that work great.

Give me specs, and I’ll put something together for you and send it off. But try to hurry, I have to go to Tennessee soon for about a week…

Tex1954,

I can use any board that is standard ATX or smaller.
My current plan is 4 x 3TB SATA hdds for data and 1 x 150GB SATA hdd for OS. So at least 5 SATA connections for my original plan.
As for the 8 Disk HBA, I have modular 4 disk drive enclosures, so that could work out nicely if I have at least one SATA connection on the mother board for the OS drive.

I believe you said that you have extra drives. I’m currently on a system building binge, so any drives you can spare will be put to good use. I can use full size or laptop size SATA drives even if they’re not good enough for data. I can put the old drives to work as OS drives.

I don’t know much about current mother boards, so I’m going to have to trust your judgment. The newest thing I have right now is this TB250 and that is 8 years old, As long as it has a CPU and RAM included, I’ll put it to work. Just make it a good one.

How do you want to handle the shipping? Does the post office still have those ‘if it fits it ships’ boxes? If I could pay for one of those that you could pick up and fill, it would make things pretty easy.

Thanks,
Chris

Dan,

I got Rockstor installed. The install routine quit and displayed the same messages as before. There was a cursor blinking and I expected it to be a maintenance mode cursor. When I tried to interact with maintenance mode the install script continued and finished the install. At this point I was able to get an IP from the system and I could ping it. The browser could not connect, however.

I then rebooted the system and the boot failed. At this time I was dropped into maintenance mode. I was able to get a log using:

journalctl -xe

The cat command did not execute:

cat /opt/rockstor/var/log/rockstor.log

The nmcli device show and ‘ncmcli dev status’ both say that the network maintenance is offline. I am working from memory, not sure of the exact wording.

The zypper command also did not execute:

zypper se -s kernel-firmware

The log files did have red entries in them but I’m not that versed in the deciphering of log entries. Is there some way I can copy the log files onto a USB drive and post it onto the forum? I’m pretty good with a bash prompt but a maintenance mode prompt is a bit of a mystery for me.

Thanks,
Chris

They don’t have a box I would need.

If you have PayPal or CashApp we could do the shipping cost that way. Or, you could mail me a check or money order…

In any case, I have to leave Monday for Tennessee for a week and can send it out UPS then.

Also, need your address of course. You can PM me and I won’t reveal it ever. OR, a sneaky way would be I put a pair of Rockstor Case Badges up for sale on EBay that would cover the shipping cost plus Ebays 14% sales hit. (not recommended). Or maybe another way you think off.

It will probably be around $20 to ship it out since I did this before for another person except he got two uATX AMD boards with all the bells and whistles…

I can post a pick of what will be sent before I leave, but won’t know the exact shipping cost until then.I will PM you the cost here.

How do you send PMs on this system?

Click on my name and send message.

I looked there. I’m thinking that I am too new to this forum to be allowed to PM. I guess you are going to have to PM me.

LOL! I will soon and we can get in contact.

OR, you can just TEXT me at number I sent!

Okay, here is the parts list:

1x Brand New Intel Extreme DZ77GA-70K Motherboard (on shelf forever…)
4x Brand new 1600MHZ 4G Memory Modules (on shelf forever…)
1x Intel E3-1240V2 CPU (Used and works perfectly)
2x Brand New Cooler Master coolers (many on shelf forever…) Work great for E3 CPU’s
1x Good Used SSD with LEGAL Windows 10 installed
1x Good Used SSD with Rockstor sorta Installed, maybe, or else another empty
2x Good Used SSDs with empty Installed
1x Good Used Video card (I have a lot)
0x Good Used Hard Drives ( one failed bad sectors other failed read/write tests today)
1x NEW CMOS battery of course
1x Mystery BOX that may require boiling water and GooBeGone to complete. (on shelf forever…)

Motherboard will have BIOS updated and be tested and shipped ready for final assembly.

I’ve been looking through the logs. I know or I used to know how boot up works from the view point point of the HD. I’ve havn’t really got into these logs much. So all I have been doing is looking up ‘red’ text and trying random solutions out. So with that said, the one that I am currently working on is the SGX (Intel Software Guard Extension) is not enabled one.

I can’t find it in the BIOS and I’m waiting on Biostar to get back to me. So does any one know if this is an important error to track down? Will it kill an install if it is disabled/absent? Where it may be found? Alternative name perhaps? Should it even be a feature on an 8 year old board or is it newer technology?

Thanks for any help.

I would think it doesn’t matter but I’m no expert in that field.
SGX (according to Wikipedia: Software Guard Extensions - Wikipedia) was introduced with Gen 6 (skylake) and deprecated in 2021 (though continued development for Xeon processors).

1 Like

Well, if you think it does not matter, I will move on to the next bit of red test in the log and look into that.

I did run Opensuse Leap 15.6 on this machine. It installed and ran fine. If that helps.

Thanks

2 Likes

If 15.6 ran fine on the machine (including network connections, etc.), then the most likely problem is a “missing” driver, i.e. on that’s needed for your board, but not included in the JeOS based Rockstor image. as @phillxnet pointed out in the past, rather than whittling down the full image (like a 15.6 desktop image would have) the approach is to have the “just enough” start and then add additional packages as needed to the installation.

Maybe you can try using lspci under your successful 15.6 install.
Don’t remember whether it comes installed or not, but I suspect not. You would install it with
zypper install pciutils

the output of
lspci -v
might provide the answer around what (if any) kernel drivers are being used, and then one can check whether those are missing on Rockstor using zypper se -s kernel-firmware (and then that could be subsequently installed) for a given Rockstor instance. Right now, I can’t get to my system, so I can’t give you a sample output that I would expect, unfortunately…

2 Likes