Error running a command. cmd ['/sbin/btrfs', 'filesystem', 'show', '/dev/disk/by-id/sda3']

[Please complete the below template with details of the problem reported on your Web-UI. Be as detailed as possible. Community members, including developers, shall try and help. Thanks for your time in reporting this issue! We recommend purchasing commercial support for expedited support directly from the developers.]

Brief description of the problem

Error message encountered after initial installation.

Detailed step by step instructions to reproduce the problem

Access GUI for the first time and complete initial wizard, or scan for disks after logging in.

Web-UI screenshot

Error Traceback provided on the Web-UI

Traceback (most recent call last):

File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/rest_framework_custom/generic_view.py”, line 40, in _handle_exception
yield
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/disk.py”, line 272, in post
return self._update_disk_state()
File “/opt/rockstor/eggs/Django-1.6.11-py2.7.egg/django/db/transaction.py”, line 371, in inner
return func(*args, **kwargs)
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/disk.py”, line 218, in _update_disk_state
p.uuid = btrfs_uuid(dob.name)
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/fs/btrfs.py”, line 919, in btrfs_uuid
[BTRFS, ‘filesystem’, ‘show’, ‘/dev/disk/by-id/%s’ % disk])
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/osi.py”, line 104, in run_command
raise CommandException(cmd, out, err, rc)
CommandException: Error running a command. cmd = [‘/sbin/btrfs’, ‘filesystem’, ‘show’, ‘/dev/disk/by-id/sda3’]. rc = 1. stdout = [‘’]. stderr = [‘’]

@dison4linux Welcome to the Rockstor community.
I’m assuming from your more recent post that you have already figured this one out but just in case I’m pretty sure this is down to your drives having no serial numbers, ie akin to @Christopher_Nicol recent report, linking to my reply there:

Usually we would show a big red warning and explanation against the affected drives on the Disk page but it seems when it’s the system drive we are a little less elegant.

Sorry that’s a bug I introduced by just not accounting for the system drive having no serial.

Try adding / passing serials through on your hyper visor / VM manager and see how you go.

Thanks for the report, as a result I have opened an issue in the rockstor-doc repo explaining this pre-requisite:

For an explanation of why we require serial numbers there is a technical manual entry in our Wiki area of this forum entitled Device management in Rockstor with a subtitle of “Rockstor’s Serial Obsession”

Hope that helps.

Yep, that was it, thanks.

1 Like

Hi there,

I’ve been through exactly the same issue on my test instance of Rockstor 3.18.2 on my laptop running VMWare Workstation 12.5

What you need to do is add this command to your VMX file:
disk.EnableUUID=“true”

1 Like

Thank you so much, I was coming up short on finding a solution and was beginning to get frustrated. I can confirm editing the VMX for my test box did indeed work and now all disks are showing up.

1 Like