Error running a command. (Create a Share)

Brief description of the problem

Creating a Share with V3.9.2-56

Detailed step by step instructions to reproduce the problem

Create a Share, Enter Share Name, Submit Form.

Error Traceback provided on the Web-UI

Error running a command. cmd = /usr/bin/mount -t btrfs -o subvolid=1800 /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST33000650NS_Z2900C72 /mnt2/logs. rc = 32. stdout = ['']. stderr = ['mount: mount /dev/sdd on /mnt2/logs failed: Cannot allocate memory', '']

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/rest_framework_custom/generic_view.py”, line 41, in _handle_exception
yield
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/share.py”, line 194, in post
mount_share(s, mnt_pt)
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/fs/btrfs.py”, line 607, in mount_share
return run_command(mnt_cmd)
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/osi.py”, line 176, in run_command
raise CommandException(cmd, out, err, rc)
CommandException: Error running a command. cmd = /usr/bin/mount -t btrfs -o subvolid=1800 /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST33000650NS_Z2900C72 /mnt2/logs. rc = 32. stdout = [’’]. stderr = [‘mount: mount /dev/sdd on /mnt2/logs failed: Cannot allocate memory’, ‘’]

I’m going to Shutdown and start up again to see if this is still an issue.

Restart worked to resolve the new Share issue, however I needed to run /opt/rockstor/bin/initrock to get the Web GUI back and now most of the share’s are not mounted

@b8two Hello again.

My initial though is that you may just not have enough memory for what you are trying to do here. Are you also running any rock-ons and if so which ones?

From your other recent post on the great hacker build you did you state 2GB of RAM.
If you are also using all of the indicated drives in that build 6 * 3 TB, then you are asking 2GB of 64 bit ram to manage 18 TB’s of storage and to run Rockstor’s Django instance simultaneously. The ZFS folks, our nearest filesystem parallel having check summing, snapshots, and being of a copy-on-write nature, often state a rule of thumb to be 1 GB RAM per TB of storage. I don’t think we quite need that generally but there are issues with more extreme memory use on the generally not recommenced for production parity raid levels of btrfs; ie btrfs raid 5/6. Although this often doesn’t show itself until you come to do a pool repair or balance. I don’t remember you stating which raid level your using on this machine.

Re:

and the fact that a subsequent re-boot, partially relieved the situation very much point to a ram starvation also.

And take care to use a fast enough system drive, as we discussed in our PM chat. Very important for Rockstor or any general purpose enterprise linux based variant that is not read only root.

The following:

May well also be related to memory starvation but could also be caused by time-outs during the execution of the initrock during boot due to a slow system drive. So there’s a couple of things to look to.

Hope that helps.

I updated my build post and indicated I configured as RAID 10.

Currently, My Dashboard indicates 55% Ram in use, 28% cache and 16% Free.

Before the update to the latest version, the version from the ISO appeared to be mostly stable. However I had noticed that SAMBA was not stable after a couple of days. (Can’t use network shares)

Now with the updates, it appears to be more critical for the OS Storage to be more responsive.
Is there an easy way to migrate from USB to SSD? Can I just clone the drives across?
I’ll be needing to use a PCIe dual SATA card to add this option and I have not used it to boot the system before.

1 Like

SAMBA Shares are not working currently, I thought if I created a new one, it might restart SAMBA in the process.

However this occured;

##### Houston, we’ve had a problem.

Unknown internal error doing a POST to /api/samba

I’ve restarted, working again, I didn’t need to run the command /opt/rockstor/bin/initrock manually this time.

I have two of these xw4600 boxes of different generations (visa / 7). The (7) had problems running Windows and I’ve just worked out it was the SATA Controller.

Hence thinking what would be best use of hardware as I have one PCIe SATA Controller;

*Upgrade Rockstor with SATA controller + system drive that is not USB (+ maybe RAM & CPU) but in turn making the other box unable to be used (no RAM).
OR
*Have a Win 7–>10 PC using SATA controller but only 2GB RAM DDR2. (Uage another OS storage solution for RockStor like USB2.0 to SATA adaptor with Laptop HDD with Similar USB2.0 Performance.)

@b8two I can chip in on this one:

Definitely, the ISO version was at least a generation or two back and did nothing or near nothing to report pool health and nothing to assist with pool repair. The newer code does quite a lot more and initially was fairly inefficient, during the transition period of adding these capabilities but it now much better than it was. There are some performance issues still but the are relatively insignificant when using anything like a fast USB and are just fine with hdd/ssd.

On a fast enough system drive that no Web-UI time outs will occur as a result of waiting for the drive, an install will take an insignificant amount of time with regard to image and restoring, and should end up being less complicated. So I’d suggest a config backup, download that config backup and then reinstall on the new system disk and import your pool. Then restore the config. It doesn’t do all things but it does do quite a few things. See the following doc sections:
Configuration Backup and Restore: http://rockstor.com/docs/config_backup/config_backup.html
and
Reinstalling Rockstor: http://rockstor.com/docs/reinstall/reinstall.html#

But definitely try a faster system disk than you apparently slow USB key as you are having a lot of ‘random’ issues that could be at least in part down to this. See how you get on and let us know how your experiment go.

Hope that helps.